Tuesday 5 May 2015

Review: The Wind In The Willows

Review: The Wind in the Willows




Books: 
  • Classic Starts series - 'The Wind in the Willows' (retold from Kenneth Grahame original)
  • Childrens Book (David Bennett Books) 'Tales from The Wind in the Willows'
  • Sequel by Dixon Scott 'A Fresh Wind in the Willows'

DVD's: 
  • Storybook Classics 'The Wind in the Willows'
  • Classic Edition 'The Wind in the Willows' & 'The Willows in Winter'
Literature Unit:

I was apprehensive at first thinking this book may be a tad young for my 10 year old who often seems like a very old man in a child's body.  To my great surprise he loved it.  Even better was how he reflected on the unit at the end. 

My first question to him after reading the books and watching the DVD's was: "Who was your favourite character and why?" 

I was expecting a fairly short answer and a fairy practical answer.  What I got was:
"I liked Mole the best because right from the very start he broke out of his old life and went out to explore the world on instinct and with determination" ..... wow ok!  He kept going and grasped concepts that most adults would struggle with and which I certainly didn't think he would even think of from such a story.  I need to stop underestimating my boy! 


Below is some examples of the work from the Literature Unit from Confessions of a Homeschooler. I have a reluctant writer so the small lapbooks are good as they are small.  The large sheets for filling in are a struggle for him sometimes but I am happy if he tries despite not having a lot of writing, what he can tell me verbally more than makes up for it. 



We compared the differences between the books, the differences between the DVD's and their animation styles and even their target audience. Great conversations were had while doing the literature unit work for his folder. 

I guess the main thing I wanted to get across with this post, was that while many (including myself) would over look this book for children aged 10 and above, don't cast it aside as a young children's book. I think the classics can be loved by all ages. 



To find how I set up my folders, click here.


To purchase the Literature Unit "The Wind in the Willows", check out the Confessions of a Homeschooler website



No comments:

Post a Comment